General Program Information
What is Minisoccer?
Objectives, Philosophy, and Program Structure
Minisoccer is a small-sided introductory soccer program, designed for players 4-6 yrs old (subject to age ranges established by Mass Youth Soccer). It is meant to be fun and developmental. The program's three main objectives are that all players:
1. Have FUN
2. Learn about Soccer, Sports, and Teams
3. Get safe healthy exercise outside
We accomplish this by designing a program that ensures the following:
• High participation (no lines, no standing around)
• Each player touches the ball dozens of times per session
• Play both competitive and non-competitive games
• Instructional opportunities that are fun, engaging and memorable
• Welcoming parents who want to help by providing appropriate roles
Kids enjoy playing with friends and meeting new ones in these well organized sessions. The low or no pressure format includes high participation exercises and skill development, followed by fun match play (Under-6 play informal matches)
Minisoccer age groupings follow Mass. Youth Soccer's standards. Under-6 is defined by birth date ranges, established by the state soccer association. See the Registration Information section of this site for specific birthdate ranges for the current season.
To learn more about the details of a Minisoccer session, you can read the DYSA Minisoccer Curriculum document.
To learn more about the benefits to our young players of small sided soccer, please reference the following:
- US Youth Soccer Player Development Model (Specifically focus on the U6 sections. Good discussion on how U6 players understand and participate in soccer)
Parents are welcome to assist with the organization of the session and help with coaching if they like. Instruction is available before each season for parents who are interested.
When/Where Does Minisoccer Happen?
There are two Minisoccer seasons within each year. The Fall season (first) takes place on weekends in September through early November; the Spring (second) season takes place on Sundays in April through late May or early June. Within each season, games typically take place on seven weekends.
The "Under-6" group plays at in the afternnoon on Sundays; All games are at Coppens Field Complex at Chandler School on Chandler Street in Duxbury.
Read about the current season schedule here.